Saturday 28 March 2020

Can we use putty without Ubuntu on Windows?

Can we use putty without Ubuntu on Windows?


"Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" launches the same app as "bash.exe", as far as I can tell. The file properties say it's a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\bash.exe 

On my system, a cmd terminal looks like this, and the BoUoW terminal looks like this. Notice the drop-down is the same - keyboard shortcuts appear to be the same as well.

In contrast here's wsltty, which has a different dropdown and different keyboard shortcuts.

Might be something specific about my setup, or maybe they've introduced a better terminal natively since I first installed it and just haven't picked up the update yet, but whatever the reason running bash on my machine does so in a cmd window.

or you do if
Are you guys launching bash by opening cmd first? If so, that's part of the problem. You should launch bash directly. If you do that, you get a completely different WSL experience.
or may be possible
WSL2 on Win10 with GUI Apps under Ubuntu
WSL2
I have WSL2 running Ubuntu in WIndows 10. Piece of cake getting that up.

Once running, I installed XLaunch under Windows 10, no problems.

With XLaunch launched, I wanted to get some graphical engineering/scientific applications running under Ubuntu. After reading many comments and tutorials I did this:

Added the following into .bashrc:

export DISPLAY=$(awk '/nameserver / {print $2; exit}' /etc/resolv.conf 2>/dev/null):0

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

All good with that. The first export returns the IP address of the WSL2 system and assigns it to the linux DISPLAY variable as expected. But unfortunately the graphical apps didn't work (a variety of error messages that don't seem important and frankly I don't understand).

So for grins I manually set the DISPLAY environment variable in Ubuntu to the IP address returned by ipconfig in the Windows console for the Windows host. When I then tried the graphics apps in Ubuntu they ran fine (opened their GUI, ran as I would expect in a dedicated Linux machine).

So, to recap the essentials:

All the documentation I could find online says the DISPLAY environment variable in Ubuntu should be set to the WSL2 IP address. This did not work.

When I manually set the DISPLAY environment variable to the host machines (Windows) IP address it all works fine. This seems contrary to all the guidelines online I'm assuming I'm misinterpreting something or am just making a mistake somewhere.

I was thinking maybe I'm supposed to be running XLaunch under Ubuntu but that seems counter-intuitive.

Lastly, I apologize for my ignorance on this. I'm not a computer scientist. Just an EE trying to piece a system together for my company's new upcoming Programmable Analog Array chip.

See More windows solution

0 comments:

Post a Comment